I’m sure for those closer toward a different number the three or the zero probably means nothing, and for me I’m somewhat ambivalent toward the figures, too.
In the core of my heart, I could be any age and still do what I’m doing now. In my world, there are no limits to what a person can or cannot do at a certain time in their life.
But for many around me, those two numbers represent time to find a partner, time to make babies, time to find the perfect job, time to do things that may or may not be what they are ready for. So I’m ambivalent. Why should anyone be tied to a schedule arbitrarily created by, well, we don’t even know who.
Sure, 30 means women’s biological clocks tick in, but if you can fall in love with a person enough to want to spend the rest of your life with them, shouldn’t you be able to fall in love with a baby that may not be your own and want to spend the rest of your life with them, too?
I don’t understand the pressure to get married. Shouldn’t it be enough just to enjoy life your own way, whether it’s with a partner or not. I know coming from a married woman this all sounds ironic, but I truly feel that even if I did not have a partner I will enjoy my life.
I don’t understand how some people with fertility troubles refuse to adopt. If it is such a challenge, isn’t it time to find a different solution and accept it? I feel sad for people with partners unwilling to have children unless it’s their own. That is so selfish, especially when some women have strong maternal desires.
I don’t understand the rush to find the perfect job. Perhaps there isn’t even the perfect job that provides stability, happiness, excitement and whatever you define as perfect. Everything has a give or take. Right now, I have a great job, and that’s good enough for me. It pays decent and I get to do what I enjoy. It’s not perfect, but it allows me to grow and meet people.
I know I’m blessed, I have a mother who supports me no matter what my crazy decisions are, a husband who lets me simply be me, and friends who remind me to stay true to my personal believes. So that is why I especially dislike arbitrary numbers that dictate what a person should be.
Everyone should be allowed to find themselves, at their own speed, in their own way, and when they are ready.
For my dearest friends who may feel pressure from random numbers, lovers, family members, or something that I can’t even predict, I wish you the best and just want to say stay true to yourself and I am always here to cheer you on your journey to you.
Saturday, January 15, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment